First of all, congratulations on your new tattoo! Of course we have done our utmost to make it a good result, but our work is actually done; the rest of the care is now up to you. To ensure that your tattoo heals as beautifully and well as possible, it is extremely important that you follow the care advice that we have provided.
The healing time of a tattoo is about a week. General health and physical condition play a major role in this. The tattoo may itch during the healing process. It is important not to scratch it, as this will damage the tattoo and leave white spots. Personal hygiene is absolutely necessary during the healing time. Immediately after getting the tattoo, it will be covered with a gauze compress or with transparent foil. This can be removed after 4 to 6 hours, after which the tattoo should be treated as described below.
- Touch the tattoo as little as possible with your hands.
- Gently wash the tattoo every cohtend and every evening with warm water and a mild, unscented soap (preferably “Unicura No. 2 Balance”) until it heals. The scabs that cause the itch will come off automatically during the shower. Do not rub it extra with a washcloth or sponge. After washing, the soap should be rinsed with cold water.
- After washing, gently pat the wound dry with a clean towel, tissue or paper towel. Again make sure you don't rub the tattoo.
- Keep the tattoo dry as much as possible.
- During the first week, apply a thin layer of Bepanthen ointment to the wound. Do this three times a day and do not use any other ointment, petroleum jelly or purol. After a week, apply the tattoo after shower with Vaseline Intensive Care body lotion.
- Do not put wound disinfectants such as Sterilon or Betadine on the tattoo.
- Do not wear bandages or bandages over the tattoo. It is important that the tattoo gets enough oxygen, which will help speed up the healing process.
- Make sure not to wear tight, woolly, dirty or suffocating clothing over your tattoo. Also be careful with dust and pet hair.
- During the healing process, all contact with bathing water, chlorine pools, hot tubs and natural bathing water should be avoided. Also do not use saunas or steam baths.
- Do not expose the tattoo to the sun or tanning bed, including with a sunscreen. If your tattoo has healed after a while, it is still very important that you apply it with a good sunscreen of at least a factor of 10 while sunbathing.
- In case of extreme redness, swelling, bleeding, color change or pain, always contact your doctor immediately.
If you just follow our care advice, your tattoo will heal best and fastest. Rely on your own feeling and treat your tattoo in a hygienic and careful manner. If you still have questions, please call us or drop by our studio. After all, we are happy to help you!